Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sonny Reviews- Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick

Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber
Publication Date: October 25, 2011
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Pages: 192
Rating: 4/5


Goodreads Synopsis
Perry Stormaire is a normal high school senior– he is busy applying to college and rehearsing with his band –until he agrees to go to the prom with the Lithuanian exchange student who is staying with his family. It turns out that Gobi Zaksauskas is not the mousy teenager that she seems but rather an attractive, confident trained assassin. Instead of going to the prom, Perry finds himself on a wild ride through the streets of New York City as Gobi commandeers the Jaguar his father lent him for the prom in order to take out her targets. Perry learns a lot about himself – and ends up with some amazing material for his college application essays.

My Review

                Au Revoir, Crazy Chick is an enthralling book with adventure, violence, and romance; the perfect combination of action and love.

My Thoughts

I absolutely could not put this book down! I am a major fan of action with some kick ass romance. Although I do wish there was a tad bit more romance to quench my thirst, it was really a fantastic combination.
                Perry seemed like such a quiet character in the beginning. He always kept his head down, did what her was told, and never talked back. Throughout the book, you could see and feel his character grow as the adventure became more epic. I also liked that he didn’t just give into Gobi after he had seen all of the violence that she was capable of. It really annoys me when characters just roll over and say, “Well, okay. I guess we are just going to kill people now.” What is that?! Who just says, okay, whatever? Perry was very strong in what he believed in and stayed that way until the end. He also grew a “set” and begins saying what he really feels.
Gobi. What can I say about Gobi? At the beginning, she was a mouse of a girl from Lithuania posing as an exchange student. At prom though, you really begin to see the real girl behind the glasses. She is really a kick-ass assassin with her own personal vendetta and a hard exterior. The story behind Gobi’s personal tragedies has a possibility to be very rich and interesting. There wasn’t much about it in this book, but hopefully in the future there will be some prequel documenting her journey, because I would so get my hands on that book. I also loved seeing Gobi soften up and start to fall for Perry.
Perry and Gobi go down this crazy road of hits with Perry’s lawyer dad’s Jaguar who is a complete a-hole. I personally took pleasure in every hit and window smashing that car took. It made me slightly happy.
After these two go through most of these hits, which at times are gory and violent, sexy Gobi dragging resistant Perry with her, the whole story come about that it was no accident that Gobi chose Perry’s family as her cover. The whole story hits close to home for Perry.
                In the end, Gobi has to leave and it makes me pretty sad. But, who murders that many people and gets away with it? There is a pretty good cliff hanger though that I am anxious in see where it goes. The book did go pretty fast, and I think if maybe the author but Gobi’s point of view in the book with maybe flashbacks and maybe drug the hits out a little more, it could have been a whole series. And I would have loved it! It would have been very interesting to see the road Gobi took, the skills she learned, and the people she had to talk to and find the people that she was looking for.  But that is just my opinion.
This book has fantastic adventure, some romance, and great action packed scenes. I really loved it and am anxiously waiting to see if there will be a second.
Favorite Character: Gobi
Least Favorite: Perry's dad; I just can't remember his name :s



Fantastically action packed!

No comments: